Skip to main content
FamilyPartner VisaProspective Marriage

What are the sponsorship limitations on family sponsors (Part 1: Multiple Sponsorships)

For many of family category visas, a sponsorship application is needed from the Australian, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand Citizen who is supporting their relative’s migration to Australia. Sponsors are subject to various legislative requirements too, which if not met can put the connected visa application at risk of refusal. For overseas nationals planning to migrate to Australia to…
Sonia Campanaro
30 November, 2023
a picture of a couple300Prospective Marriage

What happens when a couple marry before a Prospective Marriage (Subclass 300) visa is granted?

In short, the Prospective Marriage visa (PMV) is for overseas nationals seeking entry to Australia: to marry, after their first entry to Australia and within the PMV period, their sponsor who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen; and with the intention to live together as spouses. The PMV allows the visa holder to travel…
Sonia Campanaro
27 October, 2023
Partner Visa

Subclass 445 – Dependent Child Visa (Adding children after the grant of a provisional Partner visa)

Children born overseas to foreign nationals seeking to travel to, and remain, in Australia will have their options determined by the status of their parents. For example, children born overseas to: an Australian citizen may consider an application for citizenship by descent; an Australian permanent resident may consider one of the Child visas; or most temporary visa holders may consider…
Sonia Campanaro
18 July, 2023
immigration parent visaPartner Visa

What are the Family Violence provisions for Australian visa holders?

If you hold certain Australian visas and have experienced family violence, you may still apply for permanent residency via the “family violence” provisions. As of 31 March 2023, the Department of Home Affairs have introduced various changes to reduce the burden on victims when providing evidence in support of a family violence claim. This article will take you through what…
Emily Young
1 May, 2023
a picture of a coupleFamilyPartner Visa

What is the Prospective Marriage (Subclass 300) Visa?

The Prospective Marriage (Subclass 300) visa, also sometimes colloquially known as the “fiancée visa”, is a temporary visa permitting the holder to travel to Australia and marry an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen. Once granted, it is valid for 9-15 months to enable the holder to enter Australia, get married, and subsequently apply for the onshore…
Jordan Tew
10 November, 2022

Child custody for an Australian Visa: Do I Need a Form 1229?

It is essential that anyone with parental responsibility for a child give permission for them to be granted an Australian visa. This includes both temporary and permanent visas. If you intend to travel to Australia with a child under 18 years of age, you might need to complete a Form 1229 if the child has: a non-accompanying parent(s); or other…
Emily Young
27 October, 2022
immigration parent visaImmigrationParent

The definitive guide to permanent Australian Parent visa options

There are six different permanent Australian Parent visas and navigating the various visa options to decide which one best suits your family’s circumstances can be daunting. Even if your parents appear eligible, there are many other considerations, intricacies regarding making a valid application, and steps to be taken before the visa can be approved. Given that Parent visas also vary…
Sonia Campanaro
20 September, 2022
a picture of a couplePartner Visa

Partner visa document checklist

Australia’s Partner visas are both temporary and permanent visas that enable the spouses (married) or de facto partners of Australian citizens, permanent residents, and eligible New Zealand citizens to reside in Australia on the basis of their relationship. Eligibility for a Partner visa is dependent on several factors, primarily relating to the nature of your relationship. This document checklist relates…
Emily Young
1 December, 2021

What’s the status of children born to Australian citizens, permanent residents, or temporary visa holders? (updated 16 Dec 2020)

What happens when an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or temporary visa holder has a baby? The immigration status of the child can differ depending on where the child is born. Children born in Australia Where at least one parent is an Australian citizen Under s 12 of the Australian Citizenship Act 2007 (Cth) (Citizenship Act), a child born in Australia…
Mihan Hannan
16 December, 2020
a picture of a couplePartner Visa

Five essential things to know before applying for your Partner Visa

Applying for an Australian Partner visa is an arduous, expensive, and often stressful process for many couples. With many years of advising on and having submitted hundreds of Partner visa applications, below we outline some of our tips, responses to the most frequently asked questions that we receive during this process, and things you should know before applying for your…
Jordan Tew
8 April, 2020
immigration parent visaFamilyParent

Expected start date announced for the temporary five year Sponsored Parent visa (Subclass 870)

On 1 March 2019, the Department of Home Affairs (Department) announced that: applications to sponsor a parent through the Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa (temporary Parent visa) will be open from 17 April 2019; and once a sponsorship application is approved, a sponsored parent will be able to apply for the temporary Parent visa. Applications for the visa are intended to…
Mihan Hannan
5 March, 2019
australian immigration feesPartner Visa

What happens to my Partner visa when my relationship breaks down?

A Partner visa allows the spouse or partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen to live and work in Australia. There are various visa subclasses. The visas you choose will depend on the length of your relationship and whether you are in or outside of Australia. You can read more about the visa options in…
19 February, 2018
a picture of a couplePartner Visa

I’m returning to Australia – how do I sponsor my foreign spouse or partner for an Australian visa?

The Partner visa allows an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen to sponsor their spouse or partner to live and work in Australia.  The visa applicant must demonstrate that they are either in a spousal relationship, or in a de facto relationship. Given the lengthy processing times for Partner visas, it is strongly recommended that you seek…
16 February, 2018
australian resident visaFamilyPartner Visa

How marriage equality affects Immigration matters

Households across Australia should now be receiving their voting papers as to whether a bill on marriage equality should be introduced into parliament. Despite its non-binding outcome, a positive vote could have wide ranging implications on same sex couples including in the immigration space. Hannan Tew remains committed to assisting people seek immigration assistance irrespective of their background or circumstances.…
26 September, 2017