Skip to main content
(03) 9016 0484

These visas are for older parents of settled Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens who pay a higher application fee for faster processing.

Read our general information and document checklists in relation to these visa categories below. Contact us directly for specific advice.

Contributory Aged Parent

These visas are for older parents of settled Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens who pay a higher application fee for faster processing. The temporary component is optional as a two year visa which enables the parents to spread the costs of the application fee over a number of years. At least one parent must meet the minimum age for aged pension in Australia.

Contact Us
Target Market
  • Aged Parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens
Sponsor requirements
  • must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizens
  • may be required to provide an assurance of support
Visa types
  • Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 884)
  • Contributory Aged Parent (Subclass 864)
Visa Requirements
  • must be inside of Australia at time of application and decision (may grant bridging visa )
  • have an eligible sponsor
  • meet the balance of family test
  • have an assurance of support
  • meet health and character criteria
  • have no debts to the Australian government
Visa Documents

Contributory Aged Parent

The actual documents you require are dependent on your particular circumstances including (but not limited to) your family members, your health and character, your identity and your occupation. Your Hannan Tew advisor will provide you with a link to the Hannan Tew portal which will set out the specific documents required.

Contact Us
  • Copy of passport bio data page
  • Proof of name change (if relevant)
  • police clearances from any country you have lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years
  • sponsorship application form (Form 47PA)
Balance of family test and relationship to sponsor
  • assurance of support
  • evidence of relationship to sponsor (e.g. birth certificate)
  • proof that the sponsor is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen (e.g. citizenship certificate, passport)
  • evidence regarding the balance of family test (e.g. birth certificates and evidence of each child’s permanent residence)
Family members
  • Copies of passport for each child
  • Full birth certificate for the child listing out names of both parents
  • Adoption papers or court orders (if applicable)
  • If child is over 16, police clearances for any country where the child has lived for more than 12 months
  • If child is over 18, proof that the child has been financially dependent on you (e.g. bank statements showing transfers) and evidence of continued
    attendance at school (e.g. academic transcripts)
Contributory Aged Parent Visas

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Contributory Aged Parent (subclass 864) visa?

The Contributory Aged Parent (Subclass 864) visa is a permanent visa which operates in parallel to the Aged Parent (Subclass 804) visa for aged parents. Parents of pension age (generally over 65 years old) may be granted permanent residence if a majority of their children are settled Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens. 

What’s the difference between the Subclass 804 and Subclass 864 visa?

The key factor is the “contributory” aspect of this visa, where the lodgement fees are substantially more than that of the Aged Parent (Subclass 804) visa. The additional costs of the visa act as a “contribution” to the Australian government to utilise government services (such as medicare) for the taxes not otherwise paid by the visa holder as a new resident of Australia. The result is a much faster visa processing (2-3 years) instead of the decades wait for the Aged Parent (Subclass 804) visa. 

What is the application cost?

The lodgement fee for an Contributory Aged Parent (Subclass 864) visa is around $40,000 for one parent. Additional charges apply for each family member who is a part of this application. Lodgement fees change regularly, so speak to your Hannan Tew representative for an accurate fee assessment.

What is the processing time of this visa?

The processing time of this visa is not officially published by the Department, but in our experience the visa processing is around 24-36 months from lodgement. This is in stark contrast to the Aged Parent (Subclass 804) visa which is expected to be 30 years due to capping and queuing. 

What is capping and queuing?

Capping and queuing is when a limited number of applications for a visa are accepted and processed each financial year. Once a certain number is reached, no more subclass visas will be granted that year. The applications for the visa are then backlogged in a queue for subsequent years until the application is handled in order of application date, relevant to their position in the queue. 

How long can I stay in Australia?

The Contributory Aged Parent (Subclass 846) visa allows the visa holder to stay in Australia indefinitely, as it is a permanent visa.

Can I include other family members on this visa to come to Australia?

Yes – you may include the following related individuals and include them in your visa application:

    1. your partner (married or de facto);
    2. your or your partner’s dependent children; and/or
    3. other dependent relatives.

Family members who apply must meet standard health and character requirements.

Can I travel to and from Australia with this visa?

Yes – if you hold this visa you can travel to and from Australia as many times as required during the 5 year travel facility issued by the Department with the Aged Parent (Subclass 804) visa.

In order to travel after the initial five-year travel facility period, you have to apply and be granted a Resident Return Visa (RRV) so you can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident. 

You may also have the option of becoming an Australian citizen so you don’t require a visa to enter Australia. 

To determine when your travel facility ends, it is advised you check ​Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO).


The information contained here is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or give rise to an attorney-client relationship between you and our firm. The information: (i) must be regarded as a practical guide for general information and not a process guide for determining the specific immigration requirements of the countries covered, (ii) should not be a substitute for a more indepth analysis of applicable facts and circumstances conducted by competent professionals, and (iii) does not represent an opinion from Hannan Tew or any of its agents with regard to the laws of any of the jurisdictions concerned. The information does not guarantee the outcome or approval of any particular immigration application.

What can we do for you?

With extensive experience leading a private client practice at one of the world’s largest immigration law firms, our staff have extensive experience advising in relation to all aspects of the Parent visa process, including determining which visa category is most appropriate for you.

Contact Us

The latest Parent visa

blogs, written regularly

Contributory aged parent visa

Expected start date announced for the temporary five year Sponsored Parent visa (Subclass 870)

On 1 March 2019, the Department of Home Affairs (Department) announced that: applications to sponsor a parent through the Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa (temporary Parent visa) will be open from 17 April 2019; and once a sponsorship application is approved, a sponsored parent will be able to apply for the temporary Parent visa. Applications for the visa are intended to…
Contact form

Provide your details below and we’ll get back to you.