Skip to main content
Partner Visa

Partner visa document checklist

By 1 December, 2021May 31st, 202366 Comments7 min read

partner visa document checklist

Australia’s Partner visas are both temporary and permanent visas that enable the spouses (married) or de facto partners of Australian citizens, permanent residents, and eligible New Zealand citizens to reside in Australia on the basis of their relationship. Eligibility for a Partner visa is dependent on several factors, primarily relating to the nature of your relationship.

This document checklist relates to Australia’s Partner visas that can lead to eventual permanent residence (referred to collective as Partner visas below), and not Australia’s new Subclass 870 temporary partner visa, which you can read about here.

Onshore and Offshore visas

There are both onshore and offshore versions of the Partner visa.

The onshore versions of the Partner visa consists of both the:

  1. Subclass 820 (temporary) visa; and
  2. Subclass 801 (permanent) visa.

On the other hand, the offshore versions of the Partner visa are the:

  1. Subclass 309 (temporary) visa; and
  2. Subclass 100 (permanent) visa.

As a matter of procedure, both applications are applied for at the same time. Usually, the temporary visa will be granted first, with the applicant being eligible for the corresponding permanent component two years after the lodgement of the initial application. However, where a couple are in a long-term relationship, the two visas can be granted at the same time. A long-term relationship refers to where the couple have:

  • been together for more two years and have a child (not including a step-child); or
  • have been together for more than three years.

Regardless of the Partner visa subclass you are applying for, the documents and information required for your application are largely the same.

Documents Required for a Partner Visa: Evidence of Relationship

There are a range of documents required for a Partner visa, many of which serve as evidence of your relationship. The document types required and some examples of what you might include are outlined in the table below:

Evidence required
Suggested documents

Financial aspects of the relationship

Joint ownership of real estate or other major assets

  • Land title
  • Home loan documentation
  • Purchase agreement of vehicle

Joint liabilities

  • Letters demonstrating co-signatory on a loan
  • Evidence of joint credit cards

Pooling of financial resources

  • Shared bank accounts
  • Wills
  • Superannuation documents showing beneficiaries

Sharing of household expenses

  • Shared bank accounts
  • Joint utility bills
  • Evidence of bank transfers for household items

Nature of the household

Joint responsibility for the care of any children

  • Birth certificates of children

Living arrangements

  • Shared lease agreement

Shared responsibility for housework

  • Statutory declaration attesting to division of household duties (see here for a template prepared by the Department)

Social aspects of the relationship

Opinions of friends and family about the nature of your relationship

  • Signed Form 888

Whether you present yourself as being in a relationship

  • Photos of attendance at events as a couple
  • Joint invitations to events

Social activities undertaken together

  • Flight tickets
  • Accommodation booking confirmation
  • Photos at events and on various occasions (such as anniversaries)
  • Joint club memberships

Nature of the commitment to each other

Duration of the relationship

  • Correspondence over the course of the relationship (such as text message screenshots, emails etc.)

Length of time you’ve lived together

  • Joint lease agreement
  • Mail addressed to you both at the same location and in the same time frame

Degree of emotional support and companionship

  • Evidence of contact in periods of separation, such as telephone bills or emails

Evidence of long-term commitment

  • Evidence of declaration of relationship to government bodies (such as Centrelink, the Australian Taxation Office or De Facto registration)
  • Statutory declaration setting out intentions for the future (see here for a template prepared by the Department)

 The above is a general checklist, meaning that depending on your circumstances, alternate documents might be more appropriate.

Documents Required for a Partner Visa: Identity and Character

In addition to evidence of your relationship, there are a number of other documents required for both applicant and sponsor. These are outlined below:

Document required

Application for migration (through Immi Account)

Sponsorship application (through Immi Account)


Passport-sized photograph

National identity card (if relevant)

Police clearance certificates

Birth certificate

Evidence of Australian citizenship/permanent residency

Health examinations

Depending on your circumstances, further documents may be required.

Please also note that all documents not in English should be accompanied by a certified English translation.

Including Children

You will be able to include your children in your visa application, who will also be granted a Partner visa. If you are including your children, there are several other documents that will need to be included. For example, you might need:

  • Form 1229 for children under 18 years of age travelling without both parents;
  • Identity and contact details of other parents of the children;
  • Form 48A for children over 18 years of age; and
  • Evidence of financial dependency of any children aged over 18.

Your children will also need identity documents, such as passports and birth certificates.


Processing times for Partner visas vary but are generally quite lengthy. For the latest updates on processing times, you should refer to the Department’s website.

After lodgement, you will need to undertake your health examinations using a HAP ID.

If you apply for the onshore Partner visas, you will normally be granted a Bridging Visa A (BVA), providing you unlimited work and study rights. However, if you apply for the offshore Partner visas, you will need to wait for an outcome before travelling to Australia, or alternatively, obtain a different visa.

Key Takeaways

Applying for an Australian Partner visa can be stressful, largely due to the lengthy processing times and high costs involved. However, knowing the range of documents required can help make this process easier. The key documents you will need to provide include evidence of:

  • financial aspects of the relationship;
  • nature of the household;
  • social aspects of the relationship;
  • nature of the commitment to one another;
  • identity; and
  • health

If you require assistance with your Partner visa application, or have any other immigration related queries, our experienced team can help. Contact us by email at [email protected] or by phone at +61 3 9016 0484.

This document does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult an immigration professional for up to date information.

Emily Young

Author Emily Young

Emily completed her Bachelor of Laws (Honours) from Bond University in 2019, and is busy building her legal knowledge across the entire Australian immigration law framework. She's passionate about global mobility and social issues, having previously worked on matters regarding international parental child abduction, volunteered for Camp Quality, and even set foot in North Korea!

More posts by Emily Young

Join the discussion 66 Comments

  • Avinash Joseph says:

    I need to contact

    • admin says:

      Hi Avinash,
      You can contact us at [email protected]
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

      • Sabine says:

        Hi there, we want to lodge our onshore visa soon but don’t know how much space the uploaded docs will need. I am a bit concerned that all the photos, statements and documents will extend the provided space given from the website.
        Can you please help us with this issue? Kindly Sabine

        • admin says:

          Hi Sabine,
          If you are having issues with the file limitation, you probably have too many documents (so should reduce it).
          You can also email the Department with documents after lodgement, but our recommendation is just too be more specific about the documents (particularly photos).
          Kind regards,
          Hannan Tew

  • Deepak says:

    Hi.I am applying for partnership visa so will you tell me what documents will be required.

    • admin says:

      Hi Deepak,
      You can see the general documents required in this post (or contact us at [email protected] and we can work with you to get the specific documents for your matter).
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Jack Loboilagi says:

    Is it possible to apply while am in Australia
    With my partner as a residential Australian
    We luv to work with all yur requirements Nd lodge on Oct or November
    How much would that be beside the lodge fees??

  • Sam says:

    Hi there! I’m willing to marry my girlfriend here and I’m wondering, her visa expires soon, if we lodge a notice of intent to marry and talk to a marriage celebrant, and we end up getting married can we apply for the partner visa as soon as we get married? I know we need to apply for the official marriage certificate and apparently it can take 6 weeks to get mailed to newlyweds, can we still apply for the partner visa and add it later on when it arrives? Because i don’t want her current visa to expire and it ends up ruining everything I’m just worried, i figured it would be fine but need to make sure. Hope your able to help 🙂

    • admin says:

      Hi Sam,
      Yes, you should generally be able to lodge the Partner visa as soon as you are married (assuming you have other evidence of your genuine relationship).
      You can also potentially apply before your marriage if you can demonstrate a “de facto” relationship.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you’d like to discuss.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • cecilia says:


    Where can I get form for statutory declaration attesting to division of household?

  • Daneliya says:

    Hi, I am Australian citizen since July 2021 and my partner is international student in Australia. As police clearance is required, should both of us getting police clearance from our birth countries as well or only police clearance from Australia?

    • admin says:

      Hi Daneliya,
      You’ll both need to pass character, so generally speaking, you’ll both need police clearances from every country (including Australia) that you’ve lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years.
      Good luck!
      Hannan Tew

  • Dan says:

    Do you need to do statuatory declarations or is filling out the boxes on the online application enough? They seem to cover the same info.

    • admin says:

      Hi Dan,
      A statutory declaration is highly recommended.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

    • Lina says:

      Hi, I’m an Australian Citizen and want to apply for a partner visa for a Canadian citizen. I would like to ask if the Canadian citizen needs police clearance from Canada? Also what other documents are needed from Canada? Both of us are divorced and I have 2 children under 18yrs.
      When we are apply and waiting for approval from immigration, can we go overseas together?

      • admin says:

        Hi Lina,
        Your partner will require a police clearance for any country that they have lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years.
        In terms of general documents, the above checklist details what is required.
        Feel free to contact us at [email protected] to discuss further.
        Kind regards,
        Hannan Tew

  • I was married my Australian partner since 2016 and now he needs my fully care to him because he was not good condition and his doctor not allowing him to flying back here in Philippines because of his
    health condition and he was really missing of our son. My question is what could be the first step that I need to do for applying a partner visa or fiancee visa. Because my partner he is a pensioner.
    Thank you.

    • admin says:

      Hi Charline,
      There is no age limitation for a Partner visa, so even though he is a pensioner he can still sponsor you.
      You need to consider whether an onshore or offshore Partner visa is most appropriate for you.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] to discuss further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Bea Trice says:

    Hi If I just got married onshore to my sponsor, do I also need to provide Police clearance? Or my sponsor will be the one to provide it?
    Just worried If I’m onshore I might not be able to get the clearance and need to go back home country just to get it.

    • admin says:

      Hi Bea,
      Yes, you will usually need a police clearance from every country that you have lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years, whilst your sponsor will need to provide an Australian police clearance.
      Congratulations with your marriage, and good luck with your application!
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Sean Stafford says:

    Here is a tricky one that no one seems to have the answer for.

    I am currently withdrawing my application for Partner Visa as we have split up – this application was paid for and sent December 2018. However I want to remain in the country, as we have a child, and I also have a new partner. What are my options please?

    if you require more information let me know, but I’m worried that I will have to leave and not be able to see my child. Thank you.

  • merve eberle says:

    My name is merve ,I applied 309 partner visa 10 months ago and my immiacccount status is further statement at the moment,just now ı got a email from immigration they are asking me to provide request for information,there is 2 attachments one is ,s56 and request checklist,under this checklist ,there is checklist items
    Other requirements-what is that?
    Relationship history statements-are they same ?

    Request Detail
    Other requirements
    Please provide evidence of recent communication between you and your partner.
    Relationship history statements
    Provide statements from you and your partner about:
    ● how, when and where you first met
    ● how your relationship developed
    ● when you decided to commit to a mutually exclusive relationship to the exclusion of all
    ● your domestic arrangements (how you support each other financially, physically and
    emotionally and when this level of commitment began)
    ● any periods of separation – when and why the separation occurred, for how long and
    how you maintained your relationship during the period of separation and
    ● your future plans.
    The statements written by you and your partner can be on ordinary writing paper or a
    statutory declaration form may be used.
    Can ı answer those questions by writing on a paper?Also do ı need to prove photos and evidence about this questions or giving answers all those questions is enough?

    • admin says:

      Hi Merve,
      You should have a statement which refers to the evidence to address all Partner visa criteria.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you’d like to speak to a lawyer who can assist.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • J says:

    I’m currently holding BVE visa which my BVA on appeal. My partner is a Australian Citizen. We decided to get married. Can we get married with my visa status? Appreciate much if you could advice. Thank you.

    • admin says:

      Hi J,
      BVE holders might be able to apply for a Partner visa, but you most likely need to address Schedule 3 waiver criteria.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] to see if you meet these requirements.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • deepak says:

    hello there
    i am deepak from india . i am really concern for my partner and she have no family and foster parents did too much inhuman things with her also 3 men did bad with her right now case is going on but culprit are still outside they are trying to threat her too much she is 17 she have no one to help right now she is living with neighbor things are serious i just dont want to text all. i dont have any idea how and which visa i should apply for cuz . i want advice i want to support her pls give me direction how can i ?if i can talk any expert pls help me

    • admin says:

      Hi Deepak,
      Sorry to hear about your difficult situation.
      Given the complexity of the matter, we’ll need to discuss this in more detail.
      Please email us at [email protected] to discuss further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Katie says:

    Hi I am from Pakistan my question is when someone send sponsor for spouse visa tha divorce papr of last marriage require or not because I don’t tell him about my marriage before

    • admin says:

      Hi Katie,
      You should disclose your previous relationship and provide divorce papers in your Partner visa application (or else the Department could find that you have provided false or misleading information).
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

      • Giselle says:

        my boyfriend wants to sponsor me, he’s been separated for 3 years but he’s not divorced, would there be a problem? he has documents about the separation.

        • admin says:

          Hi Giselle,
          It’s complex to not have a formal divorce, but broadly speaking, you can evidence a de facto relationship if the delegate is satisfied that the relationship with the person to whom your boyfriend is married has ended, even if the marriage itself has not.
          Feel free to contact us at [email protected] to discuss this further.
          Hannan Tew

  • Bhawna says:

    Kindly help Offshore partner visa already in queue from 1 st may I’m pregnant with 2 months.if we add my pregnancy in our 309 offshore file. If possible can we get any concession in grant period for visa.

    • admin says:

      Hi Bhawna,
      Firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy!
      Secondly, there’s no real process to expedite visa processing, but feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you’d like to discuss other temporary visa options for your partner in the meantime.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Cristina says:

    Hi! How early can I apply for onshore spouse visa? I just arrived last October 5th.
    Is it better to apply now or on a later date?

    • admin says:

      Hi Christina,
      You can apply as soon as you are eligible, and delaying is only important if you don’t have sufficient evidence.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you’d like our assistance.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Annette Spooner says:

    I cancelled my sponsorship for my husband,, can he still get a spousal visa without sponsorship? There was no domestic violence or sexual assault during the marriage and no children born in this marriage.

    • admin says:

      Hi Annette,
      This depends on which stage of the visa application he was at.
      If he obtained permanent residence, he is likely to be able to keep it.
      If not, then the Department will usually write to him to notify him that he no longer meets the requirements for the visa and should depart the country.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you’d like to discuss further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Bec says:

    I have a long distance relationship with my partner for past two years and are looking to get married in next year or so. We have never rented a house together etc when he was in Australia and he’s in his home country in Europe. Once we get married, can he apply for an onshore partner visa when he comes over to visit me on a tourist visa?

    • admin says:

      Hi Bec,
      Thanks for reaching out.
      If you are in a married relationship you do not need to evidence a particular duration of living together etc, but you do need to demonstrate a genuine relationship.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] to discuss options in more detail.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Jason says:

    Im wanting to sponsor my Wife form Canada, Im an Australian resident, can you please tell if what employment details are needed?
    Letter from employer, payslips or is tax asessment needed?

    Thank you

    • admin says:

      Hi Jason,
      You generally don’t need employment details (just evidence of your relationship).
      Feel free to review the checklist, or contact us at [email protected] to discuss further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Gabriel says:

    Hi, we are in the process of applying for a partner visa and are wondering which documents the sponsor (me) might have to provide as on the application it only says “max. 100 documents” without any information (that I can find) regarding exactly what these might be.

    • admin says:

      Hi Gabriel,
      The main document is the statutory declaration from the sponsor and the AFP clearance certificate.
      In practice, the Department will assess the sponsorship application with the visa application documents.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you’d like to discuss further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Purva says:

    I am applying for 820 partner visa and I couldn’t find the window to upload overseas police clearance certificate and form 80 in the document section at the end of application. So, where can I upload it?

    • admin says:

      Hi Purva,
      If there’s no clear option, you can always upload documents under the “other “tab.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

      • Purva says:

        Hi Hannan,
        I couldn’t find anything with other tab as well. Is this option available only after submitting the application?

        • admin says:

          Hi Purva,
          You can access the “Other Documents” section after lodgement.
          Kind regards,
          Hannan Tew

  • Rose says:

    Just checking that this has been updated to reflect any recent changes to application. the Stat dec questions are the same as whats in the actual visa application, do we cut and paste the same wording or do we have to re write it?

    • admin says:

      Hi Rose,
      We generally refer to the statutory declaration for them ore detailed questions in the Partner visa application itself.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you’d like to discuss further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Shania says:

    Hi, we are in the process of applying for a partner visa. Does the police clearance & marriage certificate need to be submitted along with the application or is this something that can be uploaded at a later stage?

    • admin says:

      Hi Shania,
      If you are married you should include the marriage certificate with your application.
      The police clearances can be provided post lodgement, but we strongly recommend all applications be submitted decision ready.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you’d like to discuss further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Janelle says:

    Hi, my tourist visa got granted and i’m already here in australia, unfortunately my visa conditions states “no further stay”. Can we still apply for partner visa before my tourist visa expires? Thank you

    • admin says:

      Hi Janelle,
      There are ways to waive the no further stay condition, but it needs to be done before you submit your Partner visa application.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] to discuss further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Urousa says:

    We got married 4 months after we first met, and we have been married for 6 months now. However, we have stayed apart for 1.5 months in those 6 months after marriage, due to the 3-month condition on the visitor visa. Is it advisable to wait longer or can we apply for the 820 partner visa?

    • admin says:

      Hi Urousa,
      If you are married, you do not need to demonstrate that you have been living together for the entirity of your relationship duration.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you’d like to discuss this in more detail.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • John says:

    Hello in your explanation for partner visa application. Is this for onshore partner visa application or offshore partner visa application

    (Evidence of long-term commitment

    Evidence of declaration of relationship to government bodies (such as Centrelink, the Australian Taxation Office )

    Regarding this statement in relationship
    I have children in Australia From my ex girlfriend and never married. We both are doing co-parenting for our. And I am in centre link as a single parent.and getting some payments for My kids.
    Currently I have married overseas. And thinking about the 309 visa. Do I still have to tell Centrelink about my recent marriage overseas or do I have to wait. Because in Centrelink single parent but for visa application married

    • admin says:

      Hi John,
      You dont have to provide centrelink documents to the Department for the partner visa (it is something that can help).
      If you have sufficient other document, you may choose to omit this.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] to disucss this further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Jalij says:

    Hi I’m about to apply for sub class 309 and prepare collecting documents required, thank you to Emily or Hannan Tew for this check list!
    I’d like to ask what sub or categories for police check certificate and form character assessment when attaching/applying as it seems applicant need to provide those at the same time?

  • Kathy says:

    Hello, I have been with my partner for 12 years .. we have many photos of our time together .. but we do not have huge amount of financial connections together if any .. he owns a house out right .. I am on his will as the beneficiary .. we have a bank joint accout .. but only for a year or a bit more. We have family members that can attest for our relationship over the past many years .. but not much evidence you are saying we need .. other than photos and the will .. and the joint bank account .. what are our chances on my partner visa being approved?

    • admin says:

      Hi Kathy,
      Even if you don’t have a joint bank account, if you can show finances being transferred to each other then that may satisfy the financial requirements.
      You can also consider registering your de facto relationship depending on which State you live in.
      If you’d like to discuss this further, feel free to contact us at [email protected].
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.