Australia’s Visitor visa program may allow individuals to enter the country for short term stays for tourism or business visitor purposes. Broadly speaking, tourism purposes include holidays, recreation and seeing family and or friends Business visitor activities may include attending a conference, negotiation or an exploratory business visit.
Fancy a holiday to one of the most beautiful countries in the world? Or do you want to see an Australian family member? See if you meet the criteria for one of Australia’s Visitor visas.
Read our general information and document checklists in relation to these visa categories below. Contact us directly for specific advice.
What can we do for you?
With extensive experience leading the Australian Private Client Practice of the world’s largest immigration law firm, our staff are well placed to assist with all issues relating to Visitor visas, including: applications, cancellations, and merits review of unsuccessful cases.
To apply for an ETA online you must be outside Australia and hold a valid passport from an eligible country.
The ETA will:
- allow you to enter as many times as you want, for up to 12 months from grant;
- allow you to stay up to three months for each visit;
- not allow you must to work in Australia on this visa.
The eligible passport holders consist of:
Broadly speaking, you may be eligible for an eVisitor if you:
- intend to visit Australia only temporarily and for tourism or business visitor purposes
- are outside Australia
- hold an eVisitor-eligible passport
- are free of tuberculosis when you enter Australia
- have not been convicted of an offence or offences for which the total sentence is more than 12 months (whether or not the sentence has been served).
E-Visitor-eligible passports are citizen passports issued by the following countries:
You are not eligible to apply for the eVisitor if your only passport is a British National Overseas, British Dependent Territories Citizen, British Overseas Citizen, British Protected Person or British Subject passport.
You might be able to get this visa if you are travelling to Australia:
- genuinely intend to stay temporarily in Australia
- for business visitor activities;
- you fit under one of the streams (Tourist, Family Sponsored Stream, Business Visitor Stream, Approved Destination Status, Frequent Traveller Stream)
Usually these visas are valid for 12 months with a stay period of 3 months.
Note that Visitor visas do not permit you to work or provide services to any business / organisation in Australia, or sell goods or services to the public whilst in Australia (unpaid genuine volunteer work may be permitted in certain circumstances).
All Visitor visa streams require that the applicant ‘genuinely intend’ to stay temporarily in Australia for the purpose for which the visa is granted.
Officers must consider three matters:
- whether the applicant has complied substantially with the conditions to which the last substantive visa, or any subsequent bridging visa, held by the applicant was subject;
- whether the applicant intends to comply with the conditions;
- any other relevant matter.
For certain nationalities, this criteria can pose a significant barrier and a successful visa will require detailed submissions addressing the above point prior to grant of a Visitor visa. Speak to an experienced immigration provider to determine your prospects.
Consultation & Assessment
Engagement & Document Request
We offer a simple step by step process to prepare and lodge your application. Following our initial consultation you will have a complete advice setting out a tailored fee schedule, procedure, and timeline.
We have strict service deliverables between each stage to ensure that you can have complete control over your schedule.
Speak to our team directly to determine the timeline for an individual in your circumstances.