Australia’s Family visas are temporary and permanent visas which allow partners, parents, children, parents and other relatives of Australian citizens, permanent residents, and eligible New Zealand citizens, to obtain visas in Australia. These visas may also allow the holder to access medicare and work in Australia, and eventually, citizenship.
Children, parents and other family members may apply for migration to join their Australian citizen or permanent resident family members in Australia.
Read our general information and document checklists in relation to these visa categories below. Contact us directly for specific advice.
What can we do for you?
With extensive experience leading the Australian Private Client Practice of the world’s largest immigration law firm, our staff are well placed to assist with all issues relating to Family visas, including: sponsorship limitations, de facto relationships, relationship evidence, and the various visa types.
Generally speaking, to obtain a valid Family visa will require that:
- the Applicant is the relative of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen (Sponsor); and
- the Applicant passes relevant health and character criteria.
The various visas have specific requirements so speak to us in more detail for more detailed information.
The standard document checklist for a Partner visa is as follows:
- passport copy for each Applicant;
- two recent passport photographs for each Applicant;
- birth certificates for all children included in the application;
- if married, a marriage certificate;
- if in a de facto relationship, evidence that you have been in a relationship (social, financial, cohabitation);
- if the Sponsor or Applicant has previously been married, evidence of the divorce;
- police clearances from any country that the Applicant has lived in for more than 12 months since turning 16 years old; and
- if served in military, discharge papers.
The key component of the application is proving that the relevant relationship is genuine. Speak to our team to determine which documents are key in your circumstances.
Consultation & Assessment
Engagement & Document Request
We offer a simple step by step process to prepare and lodge your application. Following our initial consultation you will have a complete advice setting out a tailored fee schedule, procedure, and timeline.
We have strict service deliverables between each stage to ensure that you can have complete control over your schedule.
Speak to our team directly to determine the timeline for an individual in your circumstances.