Skip to main content
(03) 9016 0484

This is a permanent visa for older parents of settled Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens.

Read our general information and document checklists in relation to these visa categories below. Contact us directly for specific advice.

Aged Parent

This is a permanent visa for older parents of settled Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens. One applicant must meet the age criteria for Aged Pension in Australia. Although the processing time for this visa is 30+ years, onshore visa applicants can obtain bridging visas which would permit them to remain in country during processing. If parents are not concerned about permanent residence but seek long term permission to remain in Australia, this pathway can be a cheap alternative to the more expensive Contributory Parent pathways.

Contact Us
Target Market
  • Aged Parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens
Sponsor requirements
  • must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizens
  • may be required to provide an assurance of support
Visa types
  • Aged Parent (Subclass 804)
Visa Requirements
  • must be inside of Australia at time of application and decision (may grant bridging visa )
  • have an eligible sponsor
  • meet the balance of family test
  • have an assurance of support
  • meet health and character criteria
  • have no debts to the Australian government
Visa Documents

Aged Parent

The actual documents you require are dependent on your particular circumstances including (but not limited to) your family members, your health and character, and your identity. Your Hannan Tew advisor will provide you with a link to the Hannan Tew portal which will set out the specific documents required.

Contact Us
  • Copy of passport bio data page
  • Proof of name change (if relevant)
  • police clearances from any country you have lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years
  • sponsorship application form (Form 47PA)
Balance of family test and relationship to sponsor
  • assurance of support
  • evidence of relationship to sponsor (e.g. birth certificate)
  • proof that the sponsor is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen (e.g. citizenship certificate, passport)
  • evidence regarding the balance of family test (e.g. birth certificates and evidence of each child’s permanent residence)
Family members
  • Copies of passport for each child
  • Full birth certificate for the child listing out names of both parents
  • Adoption papers or court orders (if applicable)
  • If child is over 16, police clearances for any country where the child has lived for more than 12 months
  • If child is over 18, proof that the child has been financially dependent on you (e.g. bank statements showing transfers) and evidence of continued
    attendance at school (e.g. academic transcripts)
Aged Parent Visas

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Aged Parent (Subclass 804) visa?

The Aged Parent (Subclass 804) visa  is a permanent visa which allows a parent “of pension age” (ages 65-67 years or older, depending on the year of birth) of a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand resident to travel to obtain permanent residence in Australia.

What’s the processing time for the aged parent visa 804?

The Aged Parent (Subclass 804) visa is capped and queued, which means that the visa processing time is likely to be 30 years! As such, this is not a visa that would ordinarily lead to processing, but may still be of value for strategic reasons (for example, it can grant a Bridging Visa A to allow someone to remain in Australia during visa processing). 

Given the processing times, other visa classes available if the unclear processing times are not appropriate for you or your family’s circumstances. Hannan Tew Lawyers are migration specialists who can advise on the best visa class for your parent – book an initial consultation with us today to discuss your options.

How long can you stay in Australia with an aged parent visa?

If granted, the Aged Parent (Subclass  804) Visa is a permanent visa which allows the visa holder to stay in Australia indefinitely. Bear in mind though that processing times can be decades (see above). 

Can I travel to and from Australia with this visa?

Yes – if you hold this visa you can travel to and from Australia as many times as required during the 5 year travel facility issued by the Department with the Aged Parent (Subclass 804) visa.

In order to travel after the initial five-year travel facility period, you have to apply and be granted a Resident Return Visa (RRV) so you can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident. 

You may also have the option of becoming an Australian citizen so you don’t require a visa to enter Australia. 

To determine when your travel facility ends, it is advised you check ​Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO).

Am I eligible for Medicare?

Yes – you are eligible to enrol in Australia’s public healthcare system known as “Medicare” as a holder of an Aged Parent ( Subclass 804) visa.

Will I be able to work or study on this visa?

Yes – you can work and study in Australia with an Aged Parent (Subclass 804) visa. 

Can I include other family members whilst on this visa to come to Australia?

Yes – you may include the following related individuals in your visa application:

    • your partner (married or de facto);
    • your or your partner’s dependent children; and/or
    • other dependent relatives.

What other tests may apply?

The “balance-of-family” test applies to the Aged Parent (Subclass 804) visa, where 50% or more of your children are living permanently in Australia or Australian citizens. 


The information contained here is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or give rise to an attorney-client relationship between you and our firm. The information: (i) must be regarded as a practical guide for general information and not a process guide for determining the specific immigration requirements of the countries covered, (ii) should not be a substitute for a more indepth analysis of applicable facts and circumstances conducted by competent professionals, and (iii) does not represent an opinion from Hannan Tew or any of its agents with regard to the laws of any of the jurisdictions concerned. The information does not guarantee the outcome or approval of any particular immigration application.

What can we do for you?

With extensive experience leading a private client practice at one of the world’s largest immigration law firms, our staff have extensive experience advising in relation to all aspects of the Parent visa process, including determining which visa category is most appropriate for you.

Contact Us

The latest Parent visa

blogs, written regularly

Aged Parent visa

Expected start date announced for the temporary five year Sponsored Parent visa (Subclass 870)

On 1 March 2019, the Department of Home Affairs (Department) announced that: applications to sponsor a parent through the Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa (temporary Parent visa) will be open from 17 April 2019; and once a sponsorship application is approved, a sponsored parent will be able to apply for the temporary Parent visa. Applications for the visa are intended to…
Contact form

Provide your details below and we’ll get back to you.