Skip to main content
482Employer SponsoredTSS

Temporary Skills Shortage (TSS) (Subclass 482) visa checklist

By 8 June, 2021August 18th, 202375 Comments8 min read

482 visa checklist

The 482 visa is a temporary, employer sponsored visa for skilled foreign workers employed in specified occupations and allows employers to sponsor workers with suitable skills and qualifications where a suitable Australian worker cannot be sourced. It also offers some pathways to permanent residency, making it an appealing option for workers wanting to stay in Australia on a more long-term basis.

What are the stages of a 482 visa application?

There are three key stages of a 482 visa application, each with their own specific eligibility and evidentiary requirements. These three stages are the:

  1. Standard Business Sponsorship (SBS), where the company applies for permission to sponsor employees for employer sponsored visas;
  2. Nomination, where the business nominates a position with their organisation; and
  3. Visa, where the applicant demonstrates they meet the requirements for a 482 visa.

Ultimately, the nominated occupation must be genuine and be used exclusively to address skills shortages. You can read more about addressing the 482 requirements to meet the genuineness criteria in the 482 visa nomination here.

What are the eligibility requirements of the 482 visa?

The 482 visa itself has three streams, each with their own eligibility requirements. These streams are the:

  1. Short-term stream;
  2. Medium-term stream; and
  3. Labour agreement stream.

Broadly speaking, eligibility requirements for the 482 visa are that an applicant have an approved nomination, have the skills and experience to fill that role, and meets the relevant English, health, and character criteria.

What documents are required for a SBS application?

A SBS generally lasts for 5 years from the date of approval. Once approved, a business is able to nominate positions within their business to fill with foreign skilled workers. To apply for a SBS, the business will need to prove they are lawfully operating. Some of the documents to include are outlined below:

Evidence required
Document type
Company registration

Australian Business Number (ABN) registration certificate or Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN) registration certificate

Extract from the Australian Securities and Investment Commission’s (ASIC) business name register

Financial documents

Profit and loss statements

Annual report from the most recent financial year

Tax returns from the most recent financial year

Recent business activity statements (BAS)

Recent bank statements

Other documents

Contracts to provide goods or services

Tenancy agreement

Evidence of staff

Evidence of intention to set up business operations in Australia (if relevant)

What documents are required for a 482 nomination?

Once a business has a SBS, they will then be able to nominate a position within their company to be filled by a foreign skilled worker. When applying for a 482 nomination, documents that should be provided include:

Evidence required
Document type
Genuine position

Organisational chart

Employment contract of a previous worker in the same role

Employment contract for candidate

Financial capacity to fill role

Letter of support from an accountant showing the company is of a going concern

Financial reports

Evidence of new contracts / business won

Labour Market Testing Evidence the labour market testing (LMT) requirements have been met or submissions as to why LMT is not required
Market Salary

Position description

Available job advertisements for similar roles / salary remuneration reports

Employment contract of Australian employees undertaking the same work at the same location

What documents are required for a 482 visa?

Ultimately, the 482 visa requirements will depend on the individual circumstances of the applicant and their family members, which will in turn impact the specific documents required for your 482 visa application. However, for a general 482 visa checklist guide, refer to the table below:

Document required
Primary applicant
Secondary applicants
Passport sized photograph
Other identity documents (such as national identity cards)
Relevant change of name documents
Marriage certificates / de facto registration  (spouse)
Birth certificates (children)
Relevant qualification certificates and academic transcripts
Relevant skills assessment ✔ *
Previous employment references ✔ *
Relevant registration or licenses ✔ *
Police clearances from every country you have spent 12 months or more in the past 10 years (since turning 16 years of age)
Evidence of health insurance (see here)
Health assessments (if required)
Evidence of English language proficiency (noting that the English language proficiency requirements are slightly higher for the medium-term stream compared to the short-term stream)

* Applicants holding particular passports working in occupations on the following legislative instrument will require a positive skills assessment for a 482 visa application. An applicant may also require evidence of previous employment (through reference letters) if they do not have qualifications and / or ANZSCO requires that they demonstrate a number of years of experience. Licensing and registration may also be required depending on the ANZSCO occupation.

Lastly, it is important to note that applicant’s applying under the “short-term” stream will also need to demonstrate that they are a “genuine temporary entrant”. We recommended that an applicant includes a clear statement in relation to their future plans in Australia to address this.

The above is a general checklist so further information may be required

Who can I include in my 482 visa application?

Your family can be included in your 482 visa as secondary applicants. This includes your spouse or de facto partner, dependent children under 18 years of age, and dependent children over 18 years of age in certain circumstances.

To include dependents over 18 years of age (up to 23 years of age) who are not your spouse / de facto partner, you need to provide additional evidence that they are financially dependent on you or your partner. ‘Dependency’ refers to your child being substantially reliant on you to meet their basic needs. To demonstrate dependency, your 482 dependent visa document checklist should include evidence that:

  • they live with you (bills / lease agreements);
  • they are a full time student (course enrolment);
  • you send the money (bank statements)

In limited circumstances a dependent child over 23 years old can be included with your 482 visa (e.g. if they have a recognised disability).

I have lodged my 482 visa – what happens now?

If you are in Australia and have lodged a 482 visa application, you will be granted a bridging visa A (BVA) to allow you to remain in Australia while a decision is made. A BVA application is typically submitted alongside your 482 visa application simultaneously (and automatically). Please note that you will not be allowed to re-enter Australia if you depart on a BVA. You will need to apply for a different type of bridging visa if you wish to travel.

You can learn more about bridging visas and what they mean for your immigration status here.

If you are outside Australia when you apply for your 482 visa application, you will need to wait for it to be granted before entering Australia (or otherwise obtain another visa to allow you to first travel).

Do you require further assistance?

If you require assistance with your 482 visa application, or have any other immigration related queries, get in touch with our experienced team. Contact us by email at [email protected] or by phone at +61 3 9016 0484.

This document does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult an immigration professional for up to date information.

Emily Young

Author Emily Young

Emily completed her Bachelor of Laws (Honours) from Bond University in 2019, and is busy building her legal knowledge across the entire Australian immigration law framework. She's passionate about global mobility and social issues, having previously worked on matters regarding international parental child abduction, volunteered for Camp Quality, and even set foot in North Korea!

More posts by Emily Young

Join the discussion 75 Comments

  • Sandip madde says:

    Want information

    • admin says:

      Hi Sandip,
      Please email us at [email protected] for any further queries / information.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

      • Azumi says:

        Hi I am 16 years old and just wondering if i’m eligible to have a bank account in Australia under 482 visa?

        • admin says:

          Hi Azumi,
          Most banks allow individuals over 14 to open bank accounts (provided they can satisfy identity).
          For example, Commonwealth Bank has information here:
          Your first step should be to contact the banks directly as they should be able to help.
          Good luck!
          Hannan Tew

        • Abdul Kadir says:

          Do I need to obtain a police clearance report for locations which my son stayed at from the age of 16 years and over? So for example, my turned 16 on 5th November 2022 and was staying in the UK at the time. So I don’t need a Police Clearance Report covering anything before that date?

          • admin says:

            Hi Abdul,
            Yes, you only need polic clearances for countries in which you have lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years, since turning 16.
            Kind regards,
            Hannan Tew

          • abyse says:

            hello my dad includes us in his 482 family visa and we’re going to renew our visa and I am 18 years old can i be still dependent even if i am not a full time student?

          • admin says:

            Hi Abyse,
            There is a provision that allows renewals to include you as a 482 visa dependent even if you are older than 18 years old and no longer studying (but this only applies if you previously held a 482 visa). To confirm the requirements in your specific situation, feel free to contact us at [email protected].
            Kind regards,
            Hannan Tew

  • Atiq says:

    I got one year offer as a University lecturer. I am wondering if Uni applies 482 for me, whether it will be granted visa for one year or a 4 year period?

    • admin says:

      Hi Atiq,
      Yes, the occupation of University Lecturer (Research Associate) is on the MLTSSL so your university can sponsor you for an up to 4 year TSS visa (or even permanent residence). If your job offer is only for 1 year though, the university will generally only apply for a 1 year TSS visa.
      Feel free to email us at [email protected] if you’d like to discuss this further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

      • Atiq says:

        Sorry, my question was I am getting a one-year contract. Whether is visa will be only one year or they offer a minimum of 2 years. Thank you and my apologies…Atiq

  • Muthulakshmi says:

    Tss482 this visa type how many score in ielts

    • admin says:

      Hi Muthulakshmi,
      It depends on your occupation, (a) medium stream occupations require IELTS with an overall score of at least 5 and at least 5 in each of the four components (or equivalent English result) (b) short term occupations require IELTS with an overall score of at least 5 and at least 4.5 in each of the four components (or equivalent English result) (see here).
      Good luck,
      Hannan Tew

  • Barbara says:

    Im a physiotherapist who got a job offer. Im applying for sublass 482 mid-term visa. Im not registered in APC and AHPRA. For full licence and registraition I need to be physically in Australia to pass practical exams. Am I still eligible for the visa? Thanks

    • admin says:

      Hi Barbara,
      It’s a bit complex but:
      (1) With the exception of Medical Practitioners, demonstrating that a visa applicant has the relevant Australian licensing/registration (if mandatory to perform the nominated occupation) is not a requirement for TSS visa grant.
      (2) However, to comply with visa condition 8607, TSS primary visa holders must obtain any mandatory registration/licensing/membership before performing work in the nominated occupation. Consequently, if obtaining the registration/licensing/membership will take more than 90 days or requires formal training (that is, external from the employer), the applicant should, for this training period, consider applying for a Training (subclass 407) visa or a Student (subclass 500) visa.
      (3) If you need to perform a period of supervised practice before being eligible for registration/licensing or requires pre-registration testing, a TSS visa is not appropriate and you should consider a more appropriate visa. This does not apply to professions where provisional registration is granted while the person undertakes any necessary training in order to gain full registration in the particular profession.
      Feel free to book a consultation through here for further information:
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Pras says:

    I am an overseas doctor with a job contract starting in 15 days.I have applied for ahpra and my employer has agreed to apply 482 visa .Which stream would they apply and .how long do u think it will take for 482 visa to be the mean time is it worth coming in other sort of visa such as student visa as it seems to be the quickest one .

    • admin says:

      Hi Pras,
      Most medical occupations are on the medium term stream of the TSS visa, which is usually processed within 1-2 months.
      Depending on what you need to do in Australia, you might consider alternative visas, but just remember that a Student visa is not a work visa so you would only use this to study.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you’d like to discuss further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Cher says:

    Hello, thanks for the helpful info. What documentatuon is needed to prove the 2 year work experience please? I sub contract as a stone mason. Thank you

    • admin says:

      Hi Cher,
      Generally the CV is sufficient, but you can provide employment contracts, pay slips and tax documents to pad any information required.
      Good luck,
      Hannan Tew

  • Wathsala says:

    Hi, an employer likes to sponser me for an accounting position. My current 485 visa will be expired in November 2022. I do not have accounting experience in Australia. But I have accounting experience in Sri Lanka, but not with in last 5 years. Will I be eligible to apply for 482 Visa?

    • admin says:

      Hi Wathsala,
      Ultimately, policy is that “it is expected that [2 yeras] work experience should have been undertaken on a full-time basis in the last five years.”
      Legislation doesn’t have the “last 5 years requirement”, but the Department will usually follow policy.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you want to discuss further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Nisa says:

    Hi Hannah

    I’m a physiotherapist and currently in the midst of submitting the sublass 482 mid-term visa after nomination from my employer. At the same time, I’m also waiting for the approval of my physio licence under the NZ physio board which may take about another one to two months. Would you recommend I wait till after the confirmation of licence approval before I submit the application or will submitting it now be alright?
    Many thanks in advance!

    • admin says:

      Hi Nisa,
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] to discuss with one of our lawyers, but in terms of general information, you can get the TSS visa grant without the licence approval, but (a) you will need licencing / registration to commence work and (b) the visa grant will have a condition requiring you to have licencing / registration within 90 days.
      Hope that helps.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Tapendra Saud says:

    Hi my name is rakesh. My company is willing to sponsor me as a chef. Only problem is I need to show 2 years full time experience in last 5 years . My question is does it have to be full-time or partime or casual too? And also do I need references from every company I have worked to prove my work experience?

    • admin says:

      Hi Tapendra,
      Under policy, it is expected that the work experience should have been undertaken on a full-time basis in the last five years. Decision-makers may also consider work undertaken as a part-time employee that is equivalent to two years full-time, where they are confident that the applicant’s experience and skills are relevant and current (but you are now entering into the realm of discretion). In general, reference letters are not essential, but case officers can request this if they have concerns about your application.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you would like our assistance.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Jim says:

    What is the minimum period (if any) a Company can sponsor an individual under the Short Term Stream of the TSS 482 Visa?

    • admin says:

      Hi Jim,
      The minimum period is a 1 year visa grant.
      For shorter stays (such as say 3 months) you could also consider the 400 visa.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you’d like to discuss.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Denham says:

    Hi Hannan,

    Do I require a skills assessment if my nominated occuptaion (Environmental Research Scientist – 234313) is not on the list. If not, what is the reason I put forward for exemeption from a skills assessment? I hold a PhD and more than 5 years experience.


    • admin says:

      Hi Denham,
      The good news is that you actually don’t require a skills assessment to applying for a TSS visa in the occupation of Environmental Research Scientist.
      The PhD and 5 years experience should also mean that you meet qualification / experience criteria.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you’d like our assistance with any future application.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • nbn says:

    Hello Admin,

    When I am eligible to apply for 482 visa as a chef before my temporary graduate visa subclass 485 expired?

    and also I have almost completed 2 years of work experienced as a full time chef and also holding certificate of diploma in hospitality management from sydney australia.
    Is this experienced considered as a 2 years of work experience completed before I lodge for 482 visa ?

    Thank you

    • admin says:

      Hi there,
      Thanks for reaching out.
      We’d need to review your CV and documents more clearly, but assuming you have at least 2 years of post qualification experience you should be able to apply for a TSS visa (experience whilst on a 485 visa can be counted to the 2 years experience).
      Feel free to reach out at [email protected] to discuss further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • I went to Australia.i need work visa.

  • A.Thirukkumaran says:

    Hi sir,one of the agency in India contacted me for getting labour visa 482,they said, I need to take medical test first cost Rs 12000/-then only we r start the process, it’s mandatory for applying 482 visa for Australia pls reply iam from INDIA,Thank you

  • Nad says:

    Ģood day!
    Hi! I am currently here in Australia. My company, Ive been working, just lodged my visa 482 sublass. My question is How many months will my visa be granted?

    And if ever will be granted…

    How about my wife how many months her visa be granted under 482 subsequent visa? Does she wait too long after my visa granted?. Im just hoping that my wife’s visa will be lodged righy after my 482 subclass visa granted.

    • admin says:

      Hi Nad,
      The duration of your 482 visa depends on what your company requested. If it’s a short term occupation it can be up to 2 years, whilst if it’s a medium term occupation it can be up to 4 years.
      Your wife’s visa (if granted) would be the same duration of your visa.
      Good luck,
      Hannan Tew

  • Drizzle says:


    I came across your page and I’ve seen your discussions, I just want to ask regarding 482 visa exemption.
    I am a registered nurse with AHPRA registration, I obtain my AHPRA registration through trans tasman mutual agreement as I have my NZ nursing registration.

    Do i still need to provide english proficiency when processing my 482 visa? or I can opt for exemption as I have my registration/license.

    Because what I have in hand is my OET in 2 sitting with B marks in all subtest.

    I would highly appreciate your input/advised.
    Thank you.

    • admin says:

      Hi Drizzle,
      If you have AHPRA registration and as part of that had to demonstrate your English language proficiency then you should be exempt from the English requirements).
      At any rate – having an OET of at least B in each of the components would satisfy the English testing requirements for a TSS visa anyway (unless the test is over 3 years old).
      Good luck,
      Hannan Tew

  • kcn says:

    Good day!
    I took OET exam in 2 sitting, 2nd take i took only writing. I am for application of PR 186, i just want to confirm if i still need to take another english exam in only 1 sitting because the agent requires me to do. I am aphra registered nurse already.

    • admin says:

      Hi Kcn,
      For 186 visa purposes, you might ask your agent to review the English proficiency policy.
      Specifically, Department policy seems to allow for OET results achieved in more than one test (because OET is a module-based test of discrete modules – rather than an “integrated” model such as IELTS).
      Please note that this doesn’t apply to TSS visas.
      Feel free to contact us [email protected] to discuss further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

      • Iakobwa Teatia says:

        I’m been working in the farm nearly 4 years now but different farms. Which visa can apply?

        • admin says:

          Hi Iakobwa,
          We’d need more information to assist with your enquiry (e.g. what is your occupation and experience) to consider.
          You can see a list of various visa options here.
          Feel free to contact us at [email protected] to discuss further.
          Kind regards,
          Hannan Tew

    • S. says:

      I am currently working for a company that is willing to sponsor me for 482 visa as my 485 will expire in November, 2022. Even though I am onshore but my spouse in offshore. Can I file the application with my partner included in it or do i need to wait for my visa to be granted first?

      • admin says:

        Hi S,
        As long as you can evidence your de facto / married relationship you can apply for the 482 even if your partner is offshore.
        Just note that one of the de facto considerations are that you live together so this should be considered carefully.
        Feel free to contact us at [email protected] to discuss further.
        Kind regards,
        Hannan Tew

  • Akhi says:

    I came across your page and I’ve seen your discussions, I just want to ask regarding 482 TSS – Short Term Visa Processing time for Self Visa raised with Dependent.
    My company raised my 482 TSS visa where I included my dependent(spouse, 2 children, 8 years & 3 years old), our medical was completed on 12th July and we are still waiting for Visa grant.
    Others completed their Medicals after me and got their respective Visa(short/medium both)

    Is there anything we can do to speed up processing? Upon checking it says no Visa grant.
    Is my application complex as raised with my 3 dependents?

    Could you please redirect us in right directions?

  • GG says:


    want to know whether it is mandatory to submit the Aadhar card for minor as Indian citizen to apply as dependent of 482 Medium term skill shortage visa?

    • admin says:

      Hi GG,
      Aadhar card is not mandatory, but usually highly recommended if you have one.
      The Department can request this if you do not provide it which can slow down processing.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Samantha says:

    Hi, I was actually seeking advise and was wondering if you can help me.

    My current Australian company is willing to sponsor me for a 482 Visa short stream. I worked with them for almost 2 yrs and 6 months now as Quality Manager from the Philippines.

    I fall on the short term occupation list which is Quality Assurance Manager, I do have a degree in BS Psychology and have bunch of certifications for Quality Management.

    My question is that, do I need to have skill assessment? If not then, what can I put for the exemption?

    Thanks, I would really appreciate if you could help me with my question.

    • admin says:

      Hi Samantha,
      The good news for you is that the Quality Assurance Manager occupation does not have a mandatory skills assessment requirement.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you would like to discuss this further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Rajesh says:

    Hi, I am a software developer and i got a job offer from a company for 1 year contract, which can be extended.
    want to undrestand can they apply visa for me for 4 years though the contract is 1 year only ? Appreciate your urgent help here

    • admin says:

      Hi Rajesh,
      Your employer can seek an up to 4 year duration even if your contract lenght is initially 1 year (bear in mind they will need to pay the SAF levy for the up front for the relevant period).
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • mg says:

    hello I’m 18 years old and we’re renewing our 482 visa can i still be dependent even if I’m not full time student?

    • admin says:

      Hi MG,
      There is a provision that allows renewals to include you as a 482 visa dependent even if you are older than 18 years old and no longer studying (but this only applies if you previously held a 482 visa). To confirm the requirements in your specific situation, feel free to contact us at [email protected].
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Roland says:

    Hi I was nominated for TSS medium term Visa, on the visa application I was to include my dependants details but their passport and biometric birth certificates were not ready to be used to fill the forms, but I went ahead to apply with their other details, I intend moving first when my visa is granted before inviting them, will is that possible and what type of visa do I have to apply for them when their passport and biometric birth certificates are ready. Thank you

    • admin says:

      Hi Roland,
      You’ll likely need to apply for a TSS (Subclass 482) subsequent entrant visa application through the Immi Account.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you’d like our assistance.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Christine says:


    First of all, thank you for sharing all this info.

    I have been a Research Fellow (post-graduation research contract) at one University in Perth for three years. I would like to know if I am eligible for the 482 visa subclass and whether I can apply for the Medium Term stream.

    I obtained a PhD from an English-speaking country and two years of professional experience.

    Is there any other Visa that would be better for me and the university hiring me? I am currently outside of Australia.

    I appreciate any help you can provide.

    • admin says:

      Hi Christine,
      Thanks for reaching out.
      There are a number of visas you might want to consider alternatively (such as the Graduate (Subclass 485) visa, or a number of visas in the general skilled migration program). To consider these in more detail, feel free to email us at [email protected].
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Mira says:


    My partner holds shortage skilled visa(482),
    Is he eligible to add me on his visa if we are not married? What evidence should we provide? How much time does it take?

  • Chaminda says:

    I worked overeas(UAE) for four years and returned to my contry 13 years back (2010). is it requried to obtain police clearence certificate from the worked country(UAE) to applyt TSS (Subclass 482) visa ?
    Thank you,
    Best Regards,

    • admin says:

      Hi Chaminda,
      You generally only need police clearances from countries you’ve lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years (so you should be fine). That being said, the Department can request additional documents including police clearances during processing.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you’d like to discuss further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

      • Rrrop says:

        I have lodge my visa before 32 days for 482 visa type. But my frnd got it in 3 weeks . What could be the reason for this delay

        • admin says:

          Hi RRop,
          It’s hard to say as it can be a number of factors such as size of the sponsor, your occupation, documents provided and / or the case worker.
          Assuming you’ve provided the correct documents, a slight variance in processing time between different applications is normal.
          Kind regards,
          Hannan Tew

  • Dian says:

    What forms do I submit to prove I have worked for 2 years?

    • admin says:

      Hi Dian,
      Usually the Department will accept your CV as evidence, but completeness you could provide payslips, employment contracts and reference letters.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Yren says:

    What if my previous employer in my home country didn’t give us any form of payslip or certificate of employment because we are under a closed agency? Can I get a letter from one of my supervisors to vouch for my work experience?

    • admin says:

      Hi Yren,
      Department policy is that your detailed CV will generally be acceptable as evidence of your experience, but be aware that the Department can request additional information (of which a reference is one such piece of evidence).
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you’d like to discuss further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • zaki says:


    How exactly are you supposed to know if you need to have a positive skills assessment or not?

    In my case, i’ve applied for Disabilities Service Officer Role and, from what i can understand i dont think i need to have a positive skills assessment.


  • Joe says:

    Hi Hannan,

    Is it possible to apply for the 482 Medium Term visa as a Safety Inspector without the diploma qualification but 6 years of experience?

    Many thanks,


  • Helen says:

    The company I’m working for wants to sponsor me on the 482 visa, however I’ve only got payslips and confirmation of tax returns from my home country.

    Would this be sufficient without employment reference from a previous employer?

    • admin says:

      Hi Helen,
      For a TSS visa, that should be sufficient evidence for employment experience.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you’d like our assistance with an eventual application.
      Hannan Tew

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.