Temporary Work Skilled (Subclass 482)
The TSS, ENS and RSMS programs are employer sponsored visas for skilled foreign workers in certain occupations. The TSS visa is a temporary visa which has pathways to permanent residence, though this is dependent on a number of factors including the occupation, age, or salary. For further information, click the FAQs button on the top right. You can also read more about the ENS visa, the permanent visa in this program, here.
- Established businesses in Australia
- Established business overseas seeking to enter Australia
- Employees with job offers from companies
Visa applicant requirements
- Qualifications that match the role
- At least 2 years of experience in the position
- Genuine intention to work in the nominated position
- Mandatory licensing, registration or professional membership requirements
- Adequate arrangements for health insurance
- Health, character and English requirements
- Actively and lawfully operating in Australia or
- Actively and lawfully operating overseas but requiring the visa applicant to establish an Australian business or fulfill contractual obligations
- A genuine, full time position
- In the sponsor’s business (or that of an associated entity)
- A salary in line with market rates
- Subject to Labour Market Testing (LMT)
- On the relevant occupation lists
Temporary Work Skilled (Subclass 482)
The actual documents you require are dependent on your particular circumstances including (but not limited to) your family members, your health and character, your identity and your occupation. Your Hannan Tew advisor will provide you with a link to the Hannan Tew portal which will set out the specific documents required.
Identity, health and character
- Biographical pages of your current passports or travel documents
- Full quality passport sized photograph of yourself
- Evidence of your health assessment (we will advise you if this is required after we receive your completed questionnaire)
- Police certificates for any country (including Australia) if you have lived for a cumulative period of 12 months or more.
- Passport bio data page for each family member
- Full quality passport sized photograph of each family member
- Birth certificate for each family member (translated)
- If in a married relationship, a copy of your marriage certificate (translated)
- If in de facto relationship, evidence of at least 6 months of (i) shared finances (bank / credit card statements) (ii)living together (lease,
correspondence at same address) and (iii) social (messages to each
- If children are between 18 and 23, evidence of financial dependency: (i) reside in the same household (E.g. correspondence to the same address) (ii) financially dependency (e.g. bank statements) (iii) studying (E.g. university enrollment)
- If including a child under 18 where a parent is not included, evidence of custody (legal documents and Form 1229)
Occupations and skills
- If an occupation listed by TRA, a skills assessment from a
- Your up to date CV covering at least 5 years
- Educational qualification certificates
- Registration, licensing and professional membership
certificate (as relevant)
- Employment references from previous employers (as
- Documents evidencing your English capabilities: (i) IELST / OEP / PTE/ CAE results or (ii) Passport biodata page / qualifications
A quickly processed visa allowing companies to sponsor foreign workers
Despite an expensive SAF levy and government lodgement fee, the TSS program is the flagship employer sponsored migration program in Australia. It’s fast processing times and pathways to permanent residence also make it a preferred visa option for suitable employees. For more information, click the FAQs button on the top right.
Frequently Asked Questions
A TSS visa applicant is comprised of three stages, the sponsorship, the nomination and the visa.
Standard Business Sponsorship (SBS) – This is the permission required by any company before it can sponsor employees onto employer sponsored visas visas. Foreign registered companies can apply for approval for an Overseas Business Sponsorship (OBS) in certain circumstances. Generally speaking, the business must demonstrate that it is lawfully and actively operating, provide financial documents, and meet specified training benchmarks. Upon approval, this permission can be granted for up to five years.
Nomination – This requires the business to ‘nominate’ a position within their company, nominate an occupation on a specified list of occupations, provide guaranteed earnings in line with the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT), and pay the nominee in line with Australian market rates. Certain occupations may be required to demonstrate evidence of Labour Market Testing (LMT).
Visa – The visa applicant must demonstrate that they hold the necessary skills (qualifications/work experience), and satisfy identity, English, health and character requirements.
The business seeking to employ must:
- be actively and lawfully operating in Australia; or
- be actively and lawfully operating overseas (not in Australia), and be bringing the visa applicant to Australia either to establish a business operation, or to fulfil contractual obligations).
In addition there must not be any adverse information that is relevant to the business’ suitability as an approved sponsor.
Note that certain businesses may be able to apply for accredited status, which enables them to reeive priority processing for all TSS nomination and visa applications.
The position to be filled must:
- be a genuine, full time position;
- be in the sponsor’s business (or that of an associated entity), and be subject to a written contract of employment (unless exempt);
- have a salary that is (a) at least $53,990 per annum (excluding any non-monetary benefits) and (b) at least the annual market salary rate for the nominated position;
- be subject to conditions fo employment that are no worse than those that apply (or would apply) to Australians performing equivalent work in the same location;
- have been subject to Labour Market Testing (LMT). This requires the sponsor to provide evidence that it has advertised the position for 4 weeks in the last 4 months.
- the occupation related to the position must be on the current (a) Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or (b) Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL).
The visa applicant must:
- have qualifications / work experience that matches the requirements of the nominated position;
- have at least 2 years of experience in the nominated position or relevant field;
- genuinely intend to work int eh nominated position;
- meet any mandatory licensing, registration or professional membership requirements;
- have adequate arrangements for health insurance during their stay in Australia; and
- meet health and character requirements.
TSS visas can be granted for up to four years. However, the actual duration granted will depend on the stream that you apply under, and the duration of your assignment.
Unless you have an existing visa with work authorisation, you must not commence work with your employer until your TSS visa is approved.
If you are in Australia and hold a substantive visa when we lodge your TSS visa
application, in most cases you will be granted a Bridging Visa A (BVA).
This BVA will allow you to remain in Australia during processing of your TSS visa.
Note that the BVA will not allow you to re-enter Australia if you depart during processing of your TSS visa. You will need to seek special permission to do so. Please notify us immediately if you have travel plans during the processing of your TSS visa as it can impact the application.
Yes, you generally can include your spouse/partner and children in your visa application.
They will also receive a TSS Visa, usually valid for the same duration as your visa.
There are specific requirements for children over the age of 18 to demonstrate dependency. Children 23 years or above cannot be included except in very limited circumstances.
Yes, your partner will have full work authorisation in Australia which means they can work for any employer.
Yes. However, different States/ Territories in Australia have different requirements and fees may be applicable. We strongly recommend that you explore this with the education provider directly.
Generally no. Citizens of certain countries have access to Medicare under reciprocal arrangements with Australia.
Depending on your country of nationality, you may require health examinations to process your visa. Hannan Tew Immigration will advise you of
the relevant assessments once you have completed the information questionnaire.
You will need to obtain an English assessment unless one of the following applies:
- You hold a passport from the UK, US, Canada, New Zealand or Ireland
- You have completed a minimum of five years of full-time study in a
secondary and/or higher education institution where the instruction was
delivered in English
- You are in an excluded occupation
- You are sponsored by an Overseas Business Sponsor and are paid a salary of at least AUD 96,400 per annum.
You will need to provide police clearances for all countries in which you have resided for 12 months or more in the last 10 years. There are limited exemptions to this if your employer is an accredited business sponsor
If you do require an English assessment, you need to undertake one of the following:
- IELTS overall band score of at least 5.0 with a score of at least 5 in each of the test components
- OET score of at least ‘B’ in each of the four components
- TOEFL iBT total score of at least 35 with a score of at least 4 for each of the test components of listening and reading, and a score of at least 14 for each of the test components of speaking and writing
- PTE Academic overall test score of at least 36 with a score of at least 36 in each of the test components
- CAE overall test score of at least 154 with a score of at least 154 in each of the test components
They are all considered equivalent, and the one most suitable for you is a matter of preference. To book the test, search for the respective test names on your preferred internet search engine followed by your location.
The Department have appointed particular panel doctors who are authorised to conduct health examinations for Australian visa purposes.
If the health examinations are not carried out by these individuals, they will need to be redone.
The Department also require specific police clearances.
Please wait for instructions from your HT advisor to ensure that you don’t unnecessarily incur any costs or loss of time.
Your TSS visa will be granted with the following conditions:
- You must only work for your nominating employer (or an associated entity) in the occupation for which you have been nominated
- You must not cease working for your sponsor for more than 60 days
- You must maintain adequate health insurance while you are in Australia
Your family will be subject to the health insurance condition.
Medium-term stream applicants may be renewed indefinitely provided applicant continued to meet key criteria.
Short-term stream applicants can have their visa renewed onshore once. They must be offshore to lodge a third application and satisfy the “genuine temporary entry” criteria.
The information contained here is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or give rise to an attorney-client relationship between you and our firm. The information: (i) must be regarded as a practical guide for general information and not a process guide for determining the specific immigration requirements of the countries covered, (ii) should not be a substitute for a more indepth analysis of applicable facts and circumstances conducted by competent professionals, and (iii) does not represent an opinion from Hannan Tew or any of its agents with regard to the laws of any of the jurisdictions concerned. The information does not guarantee the outcome or approval of any particular immigration application.
What can we do for you?
With extensive experience representing the world’s largest corporations, SMEs, and start ups, our staff are well placed to assist with all issues in relation to the employer sponsored visa process, including: business sponsorship applications, nomination applications, compliance and sponsorship bars.