(03) 9016 0484

The highly specialised work stream of the 400 visa permits individuals to undertake short-term, highly specialised work in Australia.

This visa might be suitable if an individual has specialised skills, knowledge or experience not generally available in Australia.

Temporary Work Visa (Subclass 400)

The 400 visa is a temporary visa which permits highly skilled individuals to obtain short term visas for up to 3 months (in some cases, 6 months). For further information, click the FAQs button on the top right. For longer periods of work in Australia, you may wish to consider the TSS visa here.

Contact Us
Target Market
  • Businesses in Australia
  • Business overseas seeking to enter Australia
  • Individuals who are required to work in Australia on highly skilled, short term roles
Visa applicant requirements
  • Have highly specialised skills, knowledge or experience
  • Be able to support yourself and any dependants
  • Be a genuine visitor
  • Health, character and English requirements
What does it permit?
  • Can be granted for up to 6 months (depending on the circumstances)
  • For a stay period longer than 3 months, a strong business case must be provided with the application
  • Cannot be applied for in Australia
  • Does not permit a longer stay by extending this visa
  • Permits work in a highly specialised job
  • The work or activity must be non-ongoing

Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) (Subclass 400)

The actual documents you require are dependent on your particular circumstances including (but not limited to) your family members, your health and character, your identity and your occupation. Your Hannan Tew advisor will provide you with a link to the Hannan Tew portal which will set out the specific documents required.

Contact Us
  • Biographical pages of your current passports or travel documents
  • Full quality passport sized photograph of yourself
Family relationships
  • Passport bio data page for each family member
  • Full quality passport sized photograph of each family member
  • Birth certificate for each family member (translated)
  • If in a married relationship, a copy of your marriage certificate (translated)
  • If in de facto relationship, evidence of at least 6 months of (i) shared finances (bank / credit card statements) (ii)living together (lease,
    correspondence at same address) and (iii) social (messages to each
  • If children are between 18 and 23, evidence of financial dependency: (i) reside in the same household (E.g. correspondence to the same address) (ii) financially dependency (e.g. bank statements) (iii) studying (E.g. university enrollment)
  • If including a child under 18 where a parent is not included, evidence of custody (legal documents and Form 1229)
Occupations and skills
  • Your up to date CV covering at least 5 years
  • Educational qualification certificates
  • Registration, licensing and professional membership
    certificate (as relevant)
  • Invitation letter for your Australian employer which should contain the following details:
    • the project including the nature, size and duration of the
      project, as well as the importance of the project to the local
      community and any potential impacts to the business/community
      should the project not be able to proceed (including the impact on
      employment opportunities for Australian workers)
    • specialist advice/ expertise from overseas that is required – this
      may include evidence from an employment agency of a shortage of
      similarly qualified persons in Australia
    • any contractual obligations relating to the installation/servicing
      of a piece of equipment
    • any attempts by your proposed employer that they have tried
      unsuccessfully to hire an Australian to do the proposed work (for
      example, evidence of job search, training programs, letter of
      support from relevant union)
    • the number of Australians being employed for the project
      and/or by the business
    • about the time available for an Australian to be trained to do the proposed work over a longer period
  • Position Description for the role
Financial capacity
  • Copies of your last two payslips
  • A copy of your last Tax summary document showing salary (or employment contract)

Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) (Subclass 400)

We’ll advise and guide you from assessing eligibility to lodgement stage. We use an online document / information collection tool so that all your files and information are stored in one single location. You can use the Hannan Tew Portal to track the status of your matter and have a complete overview of documents required and provided.

400 Visas

Frequently Asked Questions

What am I permitted to do on a 400 visa?

The Highly Specialised Work stream of this temporary visa permits you to perform short term, highly specialised work in Australia. It is suitable if you
have specialised skills, knowledge or experience generally not available in Australia.

How long is my 400 visa valid for?

400 visas are usually granted with a stay period of up to 3 months, though in limited business cases, it can be granted for up to 6 months.

Who considers this application?

400 visa applications are lodged online with the Australian Department of Home
Affairs (Department). They are responsible for processing and finalising your visa application.

How long does the 400 visa take to process?

Processing times vary significantly depending on a number of factors including
your sponsor’s status, your risk profile, Departmental case load, and whether there are any issues with your application. Your HT advisor should be able
to advise you of current time frames.

Can I commence work before my 400 visa application is approved?

Unless you have an existing visa with work authorisation, you must not commence work with your employer until your 400 visa is approved.

Where do I have to be at time of lodgement and decision of my 400 visa?

The 400 visa requires you to be outside of Australia at time of application and lodgement. Please keep your HT advisor aware of your travel arrangements during visa processing.

Can I include my family on my 400 visa?

Yes, you generally can include your spouse/partner and children in your visa

They will also receive a 400 Visa, usually valid for the same duration as your visa. However, be aware that they will not be permitted to work.

There are specific requirements for children over the age of 18 to demonstrate dependency.

Children 23 years or above cannot be included except in very limited circumstances.

I have a dependent partner, can they work?

Your family members are generally not allowed to work or study in Australia, except to undertake specific language training plans.

Can I access Medicare or other social security benefits?

Generally no. Citizens of certain countries have access to Medicare under reciprocal arrangements with Australia.

Do I need health, character and / or English assessments?

Depending on your country of nationality, you may require health examinations to process your visa. Hannan Tew Immigration will advise you of the relevant assessments once you have completed the information questionnaire.

You also generally do not require English assessments.

Should I just book my health examinations and obtain police clearances?

The Department have appointed particular panel doctors who are authorised to conduct health examinations for Australian visa purposes.

If the health examinations are not carried out by these individuals, they will need to be redone.

The Department also require specific police clearances.

Please wait for instructions from your HT advisor to ensure that you don’t unnecessarily incur any costs or loss of time.

How many times can I renew my 400 visa?

In legal terms, you can not renew any Australian visas and if you want further stay you are expected to apply for a further visa. However, a further 400 visa application has two issues:

  1. you can not apply for a further 400 visa onshore; and
  2. a further 400 visa application which is not far removed from the original 400 visa application could suggest to the Department that the work is “ongoing” in which case the 400 visa would be refused. A TSS visa may be more appropriate in these circumstances (see here).

The information contained here is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or give rise to an attorney-client relationship between you and our firm. The information: (i) must be regarded as a practical guide for general information and not a process guide for determining the specific immigration requirements of the countries covered, (ii) should not be a substitute for a more indepth analysis of applicable facts and circumstances conducted by competent professionals, and (iii) does not represent an opinion from Hannan Tew or any of its agents with regard to the laws of any of the jurisdictions concerned. The information does not guarantee the outcome or approval of any particular immigration application.

What can we do for you?

With extensive experience representing the world’s largest corporations, SMEs, and start ups, our staff are well placed to assist with all issues in relation to the employer sponsored visa process, including: business sponsorship applications, nomination applications, compliance and sponsorship bars.

Contact Us

The latest 400 visa

blogs, written regularly

Business Visitor

Vietnam: What are ‘business visitor activities’ and do I require work authorisation?

Whether you require work authorisation in the Vietnam, or can simply undertake business visitor activities on Business Visa, will depend upon the activities you wish to undertake in the Philippines. Certain passport holders are also permitted to undertake business visitor activities in Vietnam without a visa. What are ‘business visitor activities’? Vietnam immigration law details business visitor activities as the…
Business Visitor

Philippines: What are ‘business visitor activities’ and do I require work authorisation?

Whether you require work authorisation in the Philippines, or can simply undertake business visitor activities on visa free entry, will depend on your passport country and upon the activities you wish to undertake in the Philippines. What are ‘business visitor activities’? Philippines immigration law details business visitor activities as the following (non-exhaustive): Attending business meetings or round table discussions; Attending…
Business Visitor

Singapore: What are ‘business visitor activities’ and do I require work authorisation?

Whether you require work authorisation in Singapore, or can simply undertake your business visitor activities on a Short Term Visit Pass will depend on your passport country and upon the activities you wish to undertake in Singapore. What are ‘business visitor activities’? Singapore immigration law details business visitor activities as the following (non-exhaustive): attending company meetings or discussions (company or…
immigration parent visa
Business Visitor

Do you really need a work visa to Australia? Or are you just undertaking “Business Visitor Activities”?

With the complexity of obtaining work authorisation in Australia, many businesses often look to a variety of temporary visas which permit “business visitor activities” (but not work authorisation) to send foreign employees into Australia. These visas are generally simple to prepare and fast to process, and includes the: Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601) (ETA); eVisitor (subclass 651) (eVisitor) visa; or…
Contact form

Provide your details below and we’ll get back to you.