Skip to main content
Business VisitorGeneral Skilled MigrationPhilippines

Philippines: What are ‘business visitor activities’ and do I require work authorisation?

By 29 August, 2019November 18th, 2021No Comments2 min read

Whether you require work authorisation in the Philippines, or can simply undertake business visitor activities on visa free entry, will depend on your passport country and upon the activities you wish to undertake in the Philippines.

What are ‘business visitor activities’?

Philippines immigration law details business visitor activities as the following (non-exhaustive):

  • Attending business meetings or round table discussions;
  • Attending conferences or seminars;
  • Visiting a current project site or a factory floor for informational purposes;
  • Negotiating contracts

If I am undertaking ‘business visitor activities’, do I require a visa for the Philippines?

If you are undertaking business visitor activities, it means you do not require work authorisation in Philippines, but you may still require a visa to enter depending on your country of passport.

Broadly speaking, European Union, North America, Australia and many other nationals do not require a visa for entry to the Philippines (exempt nationals).

Other nationals, including those from India, PRC China and Russia, are required to obtain a 9(A) visa from a Philippine consulate or embassy prior to travel.

What sorts of activities clearly require work authorisation?

The following activities, whether paid or unpaid, generally constitute as work under Filipino law. This is not a comprehensive list and even short periods of work activities will require work authorisation:

  • hands on technical work;
  • repairs and maintenance;
  • project planning and implementation;
  • marketing;
  • auditing;
  • providing and receiving technical training.

I will work in the Philippines, what visa do I require?

If you intend to work in the Philippines, you will require a visa which permits work authorisation. The appropriate visa you obtain depends on your qualifications, salary, nature of your work and your employer’s status in the Philippines. The most common work visas are:

  • Special Work Permit (short-term work permit);
  • 9(g) Work Visa and Alien Employment Permit (standard work permit);
  • 47(A)(2) Visa & Alien Employment Permit (special case work permit).

Any questions?

Please feel free to contact us by email at [email protected] or phone +61 3 9016 0484 if you require further guidance.

This document does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult an immigration professional for up to date information.


Mihan Hannan

Author Mihan Hannan

Formerly a Senior Associate in one of Australia’s most reputable immigration litigation and review practices, Mihan is solutions focused and well versed in all aspects of Australian immigration law. Mihan also has a subscription addiction, being obsessed with tools to improve the firms immigration work flow.

More posts by Mihan Hannan

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.