Skip to main content
482Employer SponsoredTSS

Temporary Skills Shortage (TSS) (Subclass 482) visa checklist

By June 8, 2021August 4th, 202217 Comments

482 visa checklist

The 482 visa is a temporary, employer sponsored visa for skilled foreign workers employed in specified occupations and allows employers to sponsor workers with suitable skills and qualifications where a suitable Australian worker cannot be sourced. It also offers some pathways to permanent residency, making it an appealing option for workers wanting to stay in Australia on a more long-term basis.

What are the stages of a 482 visa application?

There are three key stages of a 482 visa application, each with their own specific eligibility and evidentiary requirements. These three stages are the:

  1. Standard Business Sponsorship (SBS), where the company applies for permission to sponsor employees for employer sponsored visas;
  2. Nomination, where the business nominates a position with their organisation; and
  3. Visa, where the applicant demonstrates they meet the requirements for a 482 visa.

Ultimately, the nominated occupation must be genuine and be used exclusively to address skills shortages. You can read more about addressing the 482 requirements to meet the genuineness criteria in the 482 visa nomination here.

What are the eligibility requirements of the 482 visa?

The 482 visa itself has three streams, each with their own eligibility requirements. These streams are the:

  1. Short-term stream;
  2. Medium-term stream; and
  3. Labour agreement stream.

Broadly speaking, eligibility requirements for the 482 visa are that an applicant have an approved nomination, have the skills and experience to fill that role, and meets the relevant English, health, and character criteria.

What documents are required for a SBS application?

A SBS generally lasts for 5 years from the date of approval. Once approved, a business is able to nominate positions within their business to fill with foreign skilled workers. To apply for a SBS, the business will need to prove they are lawfully operating. Some of the documents to include are outlined below:

Evidence required
Document type
Company registration

Australian Business Number (ABN) registration certificate or Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN) registration certificate

Extract from the Australian Securities and Investment Commission’s (ASIC) business name register

Financial documents

Profit and loss statements

Annual report from the most recent financial year

Tax returns from the most recent financial year

Recent business activity statements (BAS)

Recent bank statements

Other documents

Contracts to provide goods or services

Tenancy agreement

Evidence of staff

Evidence of intention to set up business operations in Australia (if relevant)

What documents are required for a 482 nomination?

Once a business has a SBS, they will then be able to nominate a position within their company to be filled by a foreign skilled worker. When applying for a 482 nomination, documents that should be provided include:

Evidence required
Document type
Genuine position

Organisational chart

Employment contract of a previous worker in the same role

Employment contract for candidate

Financial capacity to fill role

Letter of support from an accountant showing the company is a genuine concern

Financial reports

Evidence of new contracts / business won

Labour Market Testing Evidence the labour market testing (LMT) requirements have been met or submissions as to why LMT is not required
Market Salary

Position description

Available job advertisements for similar roles / salary remuneration reports

Employment contract of Australian employees undertaking the same work at the same location

What documents are required for a 482 visa?

Ultimately, the 482 visa requirements will depend on the individual circumstances of the applicant and their family members, which will in turn impact the specific documents required for your 482 visa application. However, for a general 482 visa checklist guide, refer to the table below:

Document required
Primary applicant
Secondary applicants
Passport sized photograph
Other identity documents (such as national identity cards)
Relevant change of name documents
Marriage certificates / de facto registration  (spouse)
Birth certificates (children)
Relevant qualification certificates and academic transcripts
Relevant skills assessment ✔ *
Previous employment references ✔ *
Relevant registration or licenses ✔ *
Police clearances from every country you have spent 12 months or more in the past 10 years (since turning 16 years of age)
Evidence of health insurance (see here)
Health assessments (if required)
Evidence of English language proficiency (noting that the English language proficiency requirements are slightly higher for the medium-term stream compared to the short-term stream)

* Applicants holding particular passports in occupations on the following legislative instrument will require a positive skills assessment for a 482 visa application. An applicant may also require evidence of previous employment (through reference letters) if they do not have qualifications and / or ANZSCO requires that they demonstrate a number of years of experience. Licensing and registration may also be required depending on the ANZSCO occupation.

Lastly, it is important to note that applicant’s applying the “short-term” stream will also need to demonstrate that they are a “genuine temporary entrant”. We recommended that an applicant includes a clear statement in relation to their future plans in Australia to address this.

The above is a general checklist so further information may be required

Who can I include in my 482 visa application?

Your family can be included in your 482 visa as secondary applicants. This includes your spouse or de facto partner, dependents under 18 years of age, and dependents over 18 years of age in certain circumstances.

To include dependents over 18 years of ag who are not your spouse / de facto partner, you need to provide additional evidence that they are dependent on you or your partner. ‘Dependency’ refers to your child being substantially reliant on you to have their basic needs met. Dependents up to 23 years of age can be included. To show dependency, your 482 dependent visa document checklist should include evidence of your:

  • evidence that they live with you (bills / lease agreements);
  • evidence that they are a full time student (course enrolment);
  • evidence that you send the money (bank statements)

In limited circumstances a dependent over 23 years old can be included with your 482 visa (e.g. if they have a recognised disability).

I have lodged my 482 visa – what happens now?

If you are in Australia and have lodged a 482 visa application, you will be granted a bridging visa A (BVA) to allow you to remain in Australia while a decision is made. A BVA application is typically submitted alongside your 482 visa application simultaneously. Please note that you will not be allowed to re-enter Australia if you depart on a BVA. You will need to apply for a different type of bridging visa if you wish to travel.

You can learn more about bridging visas and what they mean for your immigration status here.

Do you require further assistance?

If you require assistance with your 482 visa application, or have any other immigration related queries, get in touch with our experienced team. Contact us by email at [email protected] or by phone at +61 3 9016 0484.

This document does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult an immigration professional for up to date information.
Emily Young

Author Emily Young

Emily completed her Bachelor of Laws (Honours) from Bond University in 2019, and is busy building her legal knowledge across the entire Australian immigration law framework. She's passionate about global mobility and social issues, having previously worked on matters regarding international parental child abduction, volunteered for Camp Quality, and even set foot in North Korea!

More posts by Emily Young

Join the discussion 17 Comments

  • Sandip madde says:

    Want information

  • Atiq says:

    I got one year offer as a University lecturer. I am wondering if Uni applies 482 for me, whether it will be granted visa for one year or a 4 year period?

    • admin says:

      Hi Atiq,
      Yes, the occupation of University Lecturer (Research Associate) is on the MLTSSL so your university can sponsor you for an up to 4 year TSS visa (or even permanent residence). If your job offer is only for 1 year though, the university will generally only apply for a 1 year TSS visa.
      Feel free to email us at [email protected] if you’d like to discuss this further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

      • Atiq says:

        Sorry, my question was I am getting a one-year contract. Whether is visa will be only one year or they offer a minimum of 2 years. Thank you and my apologies…Atiq

  • Muthulakshmi says:

    Tss482 this visa type how many score in ielts

    • admin says:

      Hi Muthulakshmi,
      It depends on your occupation, (a) medium stream occupations require IELTS with an overall score of at least 5 and at least 5 in each of the four components (or equivalent English result) (b) short term occupations require IELTS with an overall score of at least 5 and at least 4.5 in each of the four components (or equivalent English result) (see here).
      Good luck,
      Hannan Tew

  • Barbara says:

    Im a physiotherapist who got a job offer. Im applying for sublass 482 mid-term visa. Im not registered in APC and AHPRA. For full licence and registraition I need to be physically in Australia to pass practical exams. Am I still eligible for the visa? Thanks

    • admin says:

      Hi Barbara,
      It’s a bit complex but:
      (1) With the exception of Medical Practitioners, demonstrating that a visa applicant has the relevant Australian licensing/registration (if mandatory to perform the nominated occupation) is not a requirement for TSS visa grant.
      (2) However, to comply with visa condition 8607, TSS primary visa holders must obtain any mandatory registration/licensing/membership before performing work in the nominated occupation. Consequently, if obtaining the registration/licensing/membership will take more than 90 days or requires formal training (that is, external from the employer), the applicant should, for this training period, consider applying for a Training (subclass 407) visa or a Student (subclass 500) visa.
      (3) If you need to perform a period of supervised practice before being eligible for registration/licensing or requires pre-registration testing, a TSS visa is not appropriate and you should consider a more appropriate visa. This does not apply to professions where provisional registration is granted while the person undertakes any necessary training in order to gain full registration in the particular profession.
      Feel free to book a consultation through here for further information:
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Pras says:

    I am an overseas doctor with a job contract starting in 15 days.I have applied for ahpra and my employer has agreed to apply 482 visa .Which stream would they apply and .how long do u think it will take for 482 visa to be the mean time is it worth coming in other sort of visa such as student visa as it seems to be the quickest one .

    • admin says:

      Hi Pras,
      Most medical occupations are on the medium term stream of the TSS visa, which is usually processed within 1-2 months.
      Depending on what you need to do in Australia, you might consider alternative visas, but just remember that a Student visa is not a work visa so you would only use this to study.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you’d like to discuss further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Cher says:

    Hello, thanks for the helpful info. What documentatuon is needed to prove the 2 year work experience please? I sub contract as a stone mason. Thank you

    • admin says:

      Hi Cher,
      Generally the CV is sufficient, but you can provide employment contracts, pay slips and tax documents to pad any information required.
      Good luck,
      Hannan Tew

  • Wathsala says:

    Hi, an employer likes to sponser me for an accounting position. My current 485 visa will be expired in November 2022. I do not have accounting experience in Australia. But I have accounting experience in Sri Lanka, but not with in last 5 years. Will I be eligible to apply for 482 Visa?

    • admin says:

      Hi Wathsala,
      Ultimately, policy is that “it is expected that [2 yeras] work experience should have been undertaken on a full-time basis in the last five years.”
      Legislation doesn’t have the “last 5 years requirement”, but the Department will usually follow policy.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you want to discuss further.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Nisa says:

    Hi Hannah

    I’m a physiotherapist and currently in the midst of submitting the sublass 482 mid-term visa after nomination from my employer. At the same time, I’m also waiting for the approval of my physio licence under the NZ physio board which may take about another one to two months. Would you recommend I wait till after the confirmation of licence approval before I submit the application or will submitting it now be alright?
    Many thanks in advance!

    • admin says:

      Hi Nisa,
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] to discuss with one of our lawyers, but in terms of general information, you can get the TSS visa grant without the licence approval, but (a) you will need licencing / registration to commence work and (b) the visa grant will have a condition requiring you to have licencing / registration within 90 days.
      Hope that helps.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.