Skip to main content
Partner Visa

Partner visa document checklist

By December 1, 20218 Comments

a picture of a couple

Australia’s Partner visas are both temporary and permanent visas that enable the spouses (married) or de facto partners of Australian citizens, permanent residents, and eligible New Zealand citizens to reside in Australia on the basis of their relationship. Eligibility for a Partner visa is dependent on several factors, primarily relating to the nature of your relationship.

This document checklist relates to Australia’s Partner visas that can lead to eventual permanent residence (referred to collective as Partner visas below), and not Australia’s new Subclass 870 temporary partner visa, which you can read about here.

Onshore and Offshore visas

There are both onshore and offshore versions of the Partner visa.

The onshore versions of the Partner visa consists of both the:

  1. Subclass 820 (temporary) visa; and
  2. Subclass 801 (permanent) visa.

On the other hand, the offshore versions of the Partner visa are the:

  1. Subclass 309 (temporary) visa; and
  2. Subclass 100 (permanent) visa.

As a matter of procedure, both applications are applied for at the same time. Usually, the temporary visa will be granted first, with the applicant being eligible for the corresponding permanent component two years after the lodgement of the initial application. However, where a couple are in a long-term relationship, the two visas can be granted at the same time. A long-term relationship refers to where the couple have:

  • been together for more two years and have a child (not including a step-child); or
  • have been together for more than three years.

Regardless of the Partner visa subclass you are applying for, the documents and information required for your application are largely the same.

Documents Required for a Partner Visa: Evidence of Relationship

There are a range of documents required for a Partner visa, many of which serve as evidence of your relationship. The document types required and some examples of what you might include are outlined in the table below:

Evidence required
Suggested documents

Financial aspects of the relationship

Joint ownership of real estate or other major assets

  • Land title
  • Home loan documentation
  • Purchase agreement of vehicle

Joint liabilities

  • Letters demonstrating co-signatory on a loan
  • Evidence of joint credit cards

Pooling of financial resources

  • Shared bank accounts
  • Wills
  • Superannuation documents showing beneficiaries

Sharing of household expenses

  • Shared bank accounts
  • Joint utility bills
  • Evidence of bank transfers for household items

Nature of the household

Joint responsibility for the care of any children

  • Birth certificates of children

Living arrangements

  • Shared lease agreement

Shared responsibility for housework

  • Statutory declaration attesting to division of household duties

Social aspects of the relationship

Opinions of friends and family about the nature of your relationship

  • Signed Form 888

Whether you present yourself as being in a relationship

  • Photos of attendance at events as a couple
  • Joint invitations to events

Social activities undertaken together

  • Flight tickets
  • Accommodation booking confirmation
  • Photos at events and on various occasions (such as anniversaries)
  • Joint club memberships

Nature of the commitment to each other

Duration of the relationship

  • Correspondence over the course of the relationship (such as text message screenshots, emails etc.)

Length of time you’ve lived together

  • Joint lease agreement
  • Mail addressed to you both at the same location and in the same time frame

Degree of emotional support and companionship

  • Evidence of contact in periods of separation, such as telephone bills or emails

Evidence of long-term commitment

  • Evidence of declaration of relationship to government bodies (such as Centrelink, the Australian Taxation Office or De Facto registration)
  • Statutory declaration setting out intention to get married, have children etc

 The above is a general checklist, meaning that depending on your circumstances, alternate documents might be more appropriate.

Documents Required for a Partner Visa: Identity and Character

In addition to evidence of your relationship, there are a number of other documents required for both applicant and sponsor. These are outlined below:

Document required

Application for migration (through Immi Account)

Sponsorship application (through Immi Account)


Passport-sized photograph

National identity card (if relevant)

Police clearance certificates

Birth certificate

Evidence of Australian citizenship/permanent residency

Health examinations

Depending on your circumstances, further documents may be required.

Please also note that all documents not in English should be accompanied by a certified English translation.

Including Children

You will be able to include your children in your visa application, who will also be granted a Partner visa. If you are including your children, there are several other documents that will need to be included. For example, you might need:

  • Form 1229 for children under 18 years of age travelling without both parents;
  • Identity and contact details of other parents of the children;
  • Form 48A for children over 18 years of age; and
  • Evidence of financial dependency of any children aged over 18.

Your children will also need identity documents, such as passports and birth certificates.


Processing times for Partner visas vary but are generally quite lengthy. For the latest updates on processing times, you should refer to the Department’s website.

After lodgement, you will need to undertake your health examinations using a HAP ID.

If you apply for the onshore Partner visas, you will normally be granted a Bridging Visa A (BVA), providing you unlimited work and study rights. However, if you apply for the offshore Partner visas, you will need to wait for an outcome before travelling to Australia, or alternatively, obtain a different visa.

Key Takeaways

Applying for an Australian Partner visa can be stressful, largely due to the lengthy processing times and high costs involved. However, knowing the range of documents required can help make this process easier. The key documents you will need to provide include evidence of:

  • financial aspects of the relationship;
  • nature of the household;
  • social aspects of the relationship;
  • nature of the commitment to one another;
  • identity; and
  • health

If you require assistance with your Partner visa application, or have any other immigration related queries, our experienced team can help. Contact us by email at [email protected] or by phone at +61 3 9016 0484.

This document does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult an immigration professional for up to date information.
Emily Young

Author Emily Young

Emily completed her Bachelor of Laws (Honours) from Bond University in 2019, and is busy building her legal knowledge across the entire Australian immigration law framework. She's passionate about global mobility and social issues, having previously worked on matters regarding international parental child abduction, volunteered for Camp Quality, and even set foot in North Korea!

More posts by Emily Young

Join the discussion 8 Comments

  • Avinash Joseph says:

    I need to contact

  • Deepak says:

    Hi.I am applying for partnership visa so will you tell me what documents will be required.

    • admin says:

      Hi Deepak,
      You can see the general documents required in this post (or contact us at [email protected] and we can work with you to get the specific documents for your matter).
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

  • Jack Loboilagi says:

    Is it possible to apply while am in Australia
    With my partner as a residential Australian
    We luv to work with all yur requirements Nd lodge on Oct or November
    How much would that be beside the lodge fees??

  • Sam says:

    Hi there! I’m willing to marry my girlfriend here and I’m wondering, her visa expires soon, if we lodge a notice of intent to marry and talk to a marriage celebrant, and we end up getting married can we apply for the partner visa as soon as we get married? I know we need to apply for the official marriage certificate and apparently it can take 6 weeks to get mailed to newlyweds, can we still apply for the partner visa and add it later on when it arrives? Because i don’t want her current visa to expire and it ends up ruining everything I’m just worried, i figured it would be fine but need to make sure. Hope your able to help 🙂

    • admin says:

      Hi Sam,
      Yes, you should generally be able to lodge the Partner visa as soon as you are married (assuming you have other evidence of your genuine relationship).
      You can also potentially apply before your marriage if you can demonstrate a “de facto” relationship.
      Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you’d like to discuss.
      Kind regards,
      Hannan Tew

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.